Alberta Health Care Aide (2019 Curriculum)
This program is a Designated Learning Program and eligible to receive foreign nationals on a study permit.
The Government of Alberta Health Care Aide Provincial Curriculum will prepare students to work in varied care settings. The students will acquire knowledge and expertise to assist in meeting the individual needs while preserving the client’s independence.
The Government of Alberta Health Care Aide Provincial Curriculum demonstrates its concepts as follows:
- Each client is unique and is treated with dignity and respect based on their individuality, beliefs and diversity;
- By following legal guidelines and agency policies and procedures, the program endorses safe, proficient and quality care of all persons in care;
- By promoting wellness, by focusing on each client’s individual capabilities and by supporting clients to function at their personal optimal level, the curriculum assists in preserving a client’s independence;
- A positive attitude and effective communication with supervisors, co-workers, clients and families contribute to quality care.
|TERM SCHEDULE||COURSE NO.||COURSE TITLE||CREDIT|
|1||Health Care Aide Role and Responsibility||3|
|2||The Human Body, Health, and Chronic Illness||3|
|3||Communication and Documentation in the Health Care Environment||
|4||Providing Person-Centered Care and Comfort||5|
|5||Clinical Placement 1||3|
|6||Meeting Complex Care Needs||5|
|7||Special Activities for Clients with Various Health Conditions||
|8||Clinical Placement 2 (Instructor-Led)||5|
|9||Consolidated Clinical Placement||3|
|T O T A L||36|
Program Admission Criteria
- Grade 11 – English Language Arts, or
- IELTS – Level 6, or
- Duolingo with a minimum score of 95, and
- High school or Post-Secondary Transcripts with official translations if not in English.
AHCA – Prior Learning and Recognition (PLAR) Process
- Record of number of work hours for the last three years totaling at least 600 hours as a Health Care Aide of Personal Care Provider,
- Transfer Credits,
- Challenge courses, and
- English Language Proficiency
As provided by the Ministry of Health new policies and program of standards for the HCA Program transfer credits and Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition, MTG Healthcare Academy will allow transfer credit on a course by course basis from other post-secondary institutions offering the Government of Alberta Health Care Aide Provincial Curriculum. Only up to fifty percent of course credits or hours can be transferred from another post-secondary institution to MTG Healthcare Aide Academy.
Health Care Aide students must achieve a minimum final grade of 70% in each course and pass the Provincial health Care Aide Examination to graduate from the HCA program and receive the Government of Alberta Health Care Aide Provincial Curriculum Certificate.
Students who have an unsettled financial obligation to MTG Healthcare Academy at the point of program completion will not be allowed to graduate nor join the Convocation. All graduating students are invited to attend the Commencement Exercises. However, as venue capacity if limited, each graduating student is allowed only four (4) guests to join the program.
MTG Healthcare Academy holds Graduation Ceremony of each year in the months of
- August for Edmonton Campus
- September for Red Deer Campus, and
- October for Calgary Main Campus
Post Graduate Work Permit Program
Students are not eligible for Post Graduate Work Permit if they have completed a course or program of study at a Private Career College. Visit this website for further information:
For More Information:
Call Toll Free 1-844-353-0684 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Request Course Info
Enter your email below to request an information package