The Developmental Service Worker program (DSW Program) provides special training for students looking for a gratifying career working with adults, youth, and children who have developmental, cognitive, and physical disabilities. The DSW Student will also learn to support individuals with mental illnesses.
Graduates from the Developmental Service Worker Program support individuals with developmental, cognitive, physical disabilities, and mental illnesses. They have the expertise and skills to interview assist, assess and counsel clients (adult, youth, children, and their families). Developmental Service Workers facilitate life skills, promote health and wellbeing, encourage inclusive environments, and provide personal care for all clients with developmental disabilities. MTG Healthcare Academy Developmental Service Worker Program meets all Provincial Standardization guidelines and outcomes.
Graduates may work with adults, youth, and children who have developmental, cognitive, and physical disabilities. They may work in many different areas of employment.
Areas of Employment for Developmental Service Workers are:
Educational Assistant Family Support Community Agencies Residential Agencies Community Organizations Program Supervision Private Sector Opportunities Transitional Services
Social Skills Philosophy of Support Intervention Strategies Teaching Skills First Aid/CPR Crisis Prevention Intervention Developmental Disabilities Dual Diagnosis Pharmacology Human Sexuality Developmental Psychology Health and Wellness
STANDARD ADMISSION PREREQUISITES
- Alberta High School Diploma, verified by transcript OR
- A secondary school graduation diploma from another Canadian province or territory OR
- Successful completion of the General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.) OR
- A transcript, diploma or certificate from another country, assessed at an Alberta recognized assessment service OR
- English grade 12 or equivalent.
- Recommended one Science credit.
- Satisfactory interview with the school advisor.
MATURE ADMISSION PREREQUISITES
- Mature Student Status (Minimum 18 years of age upon commencement)
- Academic achievement test to demonstrate required competency:
- CAAT (Canadian Adult Achievement Test), OR
- TABE (Test of Adult Basic Education) OR
- CAST (Canadian Achievement Survey Test for Adults) OR
- Wonderlic Scholastic Level Examination OR
- Accuplacer Test
- Satisfactory interview with the school advisor.
Developmental Service Worker Diploma program courses at MTG Healthcare Academy are primarily taught in Canadian English. To qualify for admission, learners must demonstrate their language proficiency, typically through their high school or college/university transcripts, or through a test of English language proficiency:
English Test / Program Minimum required score
Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) 7 in each strand
Canadian English Language Proficiency Index 7 general, with no section
Program (CELPIP) score below 6.0
International English Language Testing System 6.0 overall, with no section score
(IELTS) Academic below 5.5
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) 71
Duolingo Language Test 95
OR: three (3) years of full-time secondary education at a Canadian high school where the primary language of instruction was English.
OR: two (2) years full-time study at a recognized post-secondary institution in Canada where the primary language of instruction was English.
OR: three (3) years full-time study at the college level in a country where the medium of instruction is English.
CRIMINAL REFERENCE / VULNERABLE SECTOR CHECK
Placement agencies require an up-to-date clear criminal reference check and vulnerable sector check prior to going out on placement. Students should obtain their criminal reference three months prior to placement; checks conducted earlier may not be considered current. As some jurisdictions require longer lead-time for processing, please check with the program coordinator to ensure you allow for sufficient turn-around time. It is the student’s responsibility to provide the completed document prior to placement start.
NOTE: Individuals who have been charged or convicted criminally and not pardoned will be prohibited from proceeding to a clinical or placement.
Once accepted into the program, and prior to participating in the on-campus and clinical (off campus) outreach students must have satisfied the following additional requirements:
- Complete immunization record including flu shot and COVID-19 vaccine.
- Up-to-date clear criminal reference check and vulnerable sector check.
- Students are responsible for any fees associated with achieving the above requirements.
STATEMENT OF NON-DISCRIMINATION
The Massage Therapy diploma program does not engage in any form of enrollment discrimination including (but not limited to) race, gender, religion, nationality, age, disability, and sexual orientation.
PHYSICAL ABILITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS
Massage therapists spend much of the workday on their feet. They use their hands, arms, backs and legs to exert force and perform repetitive motions. Therefore, they must possess the stamina to withstand fatigue and to endure muscular activity. Massage therapists also need manual dexterity, a steady hand and the ability to coordinate activities involving more than one limb, such as both arms or both hands.
Massage therapists need the following characteristics:
- excellent listening skills.
- good communication and time management skills.
- good general health and posture.
- comfortable with sharing personal space for extended periods of time.
- interested in wellness issues.
- able to work in a standing position for long periods of time and use the body as a tool in administering massage therapy.
- critical thinking skills.
- friendly, outgoing personality and caring attitude.
- enjoy helping people and developing and implementing treatment plans.
WORKPLACE SKILLS – EMPLOYABILITY SKILLS PROFILE
Graduates of the program must have the minimal skills, essential functions, and knowledge to function in a broad variety of clinical settings, along with the Conference Board of Canada’s Employability Skills.