Tutoring and Academic Support
As part of our academic support program, Tutoring Services are available in all subject areas. Both one-on-one and group tutoring is available and all of MTG Healthcare Academy’s campuses offer English reading and writing support.
Health Care Insurance
We assist international students who are staying for a minimum of 12 months to qualify for AHCIP (check requirements online here). To register for AHCIP visit the government of Alberta website here or visit an Alberta registry location. For a list of authorized registries click here.
Housing and Homestay Policies
MTG Healthcare Academy is dedicated to assuring a safe, secure and welcoming atmosphere while you study in Canada, encouraging the learning process and personal growth. The following describe our host families’ dedication to meeting our goals:
- Pick up and drop off to the airport for students when arriving and departing. (there will be a fee for transportation)
- Accompany and show the student how to get to and from school by bus or c-train. This includes traveling both ways with the student on or before the first day of class.
- Provide a secure, healthy and warm home environment. The host family is expected to provide reasonable protection and safety for the student and act as a reasonably prudent host parent.
- Provide an English-speaking environment for the students. Only English must be spoken while the student is present.
- Provide a suitable home and private bedroom (not shared room). eg. single bed, table, lamp, closet or dresser.
- If a student reports that there are problems in the home such as alcohol, drug abuse, sexual impropriety, inappropriate conduct or abusive language or behaviour, the student(s) will be removed from the home without notice and legal action may be taken in to consideration.
- Host families are required to give a full refund to the student for any paid weeks remaining after the two week notice period.
- Provide access to laundry facilities. Students are not expected to pay for laundry soap. If host family doing the laundry, no extra cost shall be charged to the student.
- Ensure that international students are not required to babysit.
International Students of MTG Healthcare Academy will be toured around their prospective city (Calgary, Edmonton or Red Deer) and Banff or Lake Louise as part of our cross-cultural counselling. They will be oriented on Canada’s history and government. International students and Canadian students will collaborate on community services in the surrounding areas.
Every bank has different monthly charges, interest rates and fees. We do not have a specific bank to recommend. We help you peruse different banks and know their benefits that will suit your needs as an international student.
Visa information and inquiries are available – for more information click here.
Working in Canada
International students can work in Canada for only a certain number of hours per week. We will guide you on applying for a part time job. Our Resume Making Workshop will help you create a presentable resume for your chosen career.
Social Insurance Number
The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits. We will guide you on applying for a SIN number. For a list of requirements click here.
MTG Healthcare Academy has as accessible library for our students. We have plenty of resources for our students that will help them through their programs. Students can apply for a free library card during orientation. This will give them unlimited access to our library and our student computers. If our library does not have sufficient information, we can assist students to obtain their Calgary Library Card.
Full day of orientation Facilitated by our International Student co-ordinator, joined by a previous student to help students acclimatize to the classrooms and layout of the campus. Students will hear about college traditions as well as opportunities to become involved in the community.